About the Office of the Speaker
The Speaker is the Chairperson of Mhlontlo council and ensures that council meets regularly.
The Speakers duties and functions entail the following:
- Preside at meeting of the council
- Perform the duties and exercise the powers delegated to the speaker by the council.
- Ensure that the council meets at least quarterly
- Maintain order during council meetings
- Ensure compliance in the council and council committees with the Code of Conduct for Councillors as set out in Schedule 1 of the Municipal Systems Act.
- Ensure that council meeting are conducted in accordance with the rules and orders of council.
- Ensure that traditional leaders are designated to attend and participate in any meetings of council.
- To provide political leadership in ward participatory governance
- To involve the community in the affairs of the Municipality in terms of sections 16 and 17 of the Local Government: Municipal Systems Act, 2000 (Act 32 of 2000)
- To communicate information concerning community participation in terms of section 18 of the Municipal Systems Act, 2000
- To ensure the planning, development and enhancement of effective policy and research in terms of the roles and delegations related to the Speaker
- To ensure the implementation and maintenance of effective resolution tracking and monitoring for meetings of ward committees, the Section 79 Ad Hoc Committee and the Council Committee
- To ensure oversight over Council Committees, rules and orders
- To ensure effective ward committee secretariat services